Havdalah means to differentiate, to distinguish. The entire ceremony is to designed to distinguish between the Shabbat that we have just experienced and the week that we are about to enter. Shabbat is a rare and unique gift. Appreciating its unique beauty allows us elevate the rest of our week.
As we leave Shabbat and enter the week, we engage all our senses and are completely present.
- The wine, is a symbol of joy that we taste.
- The spices, whose fragrance we smell comforts our soul.
- The flame, which we see symbolizes light and darkness and the ability to see difference in a very deep way.
- The flame also provides the warmth we feel by holding the backs of our hands towards the flame.
- Finally, we hear the world around us through the sweet songs of Havdalah, the sizzle of the candle flame extinguishing in the cup of wine and the conversation and laughter of our family and friends.